Skip To Main Content

Exceptional Children

Union Academy’s Programs for Exceptional Children (EC) serve children in accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA). Union Academy has adopted and complies with North Carolina’s Policies Governing Services for Children with Disabilities.

If you are new to UA and have questions about special education, please contact Cissy Brewer. In order to make your student’s transition into UA go smoothly, it is very important to provide your student’s new school copies of the following information during registration:•

  • Most recent psychoeducational report, eligibility, evaluation and/or reevaluation report;
  • Current individualized education program (IEP); and
  • Contact information for your student’s previous school and school district. These items will support a successful transition between your student’s old and new school and will ensure that appropriate services and supports are made available.

Child Find

The Exceptional Children’s department is responsible for conducting Child Find for those students suspected of having a disability and providing appropriate educational opportunities to all children with disabilities. The purpose is to ensure that all eligible children with disabilities have available to them a free, appropriate, public education. In order to meet the goals and address the purpose, the department provides comprehensive evaluation services to determine eligibility through Child Find. Once determined eligible by the Individualized Education Program (IEP) team, the students' needs are addressed through the development of an individualized education program which may address cognitive, educational, physical, behavioral, communication, motor and adaptive needs of the student.Special education and related services designed to meet the students' unique needs and to prepare students for further education, employment, and independent living are administered through our program at Union Academy Charter School. For fuither information regarding Child Find or if you suspect your student may have a disability and need special education and/or related services, please contact: Cissy Brewer.

At Union Academy, children with disabilities will be educated in the regular educational environment with children who are non-disabled to the maximum extent appropriate, according to Individual Education Plan (IEP) specifications. Children with disabilities will receive services from certified special education teachers and support staff/therapists in the regular education setting to the fullest extent possible by providing accommodations, modifications, inclusion services, and pull-out support/remedial services as deemed necessary and appropriate by the IEP team to meet individual needs.

Parent Rights and Responsibilities

Parent Rights and Responsibilities in Special Education: NC Notice of Procedural Safeguards. This handbook is designed to support families with the understanding of the rights and responsibilities specific to the special education process. Acronyms and terms often used in special education and resources can be found in the appendices.  English Version Spanish Version.

Other Information

Any student transferring to Union Academy with an IEP should contact the Exceptional Children’s office.

For more information about the topics concerning Exceptional Children in North Carolina, please click here. The mission of the Exceptional Children Division is to ensure that students with disabilities develop intellectually, physically, emotionally, and vocationally through the provision of an appropriate individualized program in the least restrictive environment.

Additional Services: Physical Therapy, Visually Impaired Services, and PsychoEducational Services, as well as other services, are all contracted through outside agencies when needed.