Welcome to Mrs. Malone's 8th Grade Social Studies Class!
I am so happy that we are about to start a new year, and I can't wait to share my love of history with all of my new students. This will be my twelfth year of teaching at Union Academy, and my twentieth year of teaching overall. I graduated from the University of California, Davis with a BA, majoring in both History and Political Science. I went on to receive a Master's Degree in Education from Sacramento State University. This year our course of study will be North Carolina and the United States: Creation and Development of the State and Nation. Eight Grade Social Studies entails a study of North Carolina and the United States, and will follow the North Carolina Standard Course of Study.
Social Studies Open House Video
How to Navigate Mrs. Malone' s Canvas Page Video
8th Grade Social Studies Course Syllabus
Supplies for Social Studies -
Note - supplies will not be needed until we return to traditional learning, Aug. 24th.
- One 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch Three Ring Binder (May share this binder with Science; For your personal use)
- Notebook Paper for your Binder (For your personal use, you will keep these items)
- Blue or Black Pens and Pencils (For your personal use, you will keep these items)
- Highlighters (For your personal use, you will keep these items)
- Colored Pencils (For your personal use, you will keep these items)
- Glue Sticks (For your personal use, you will keep these items)
- Scissors (For your personal use, you will keep these items)
- Tests, Quizzes and Projects– 45%
- Classwork – 35%
- Skills Check – 20%
Parents and students are encouraged to check your or your student's academic progress at any time on the Powerschool website. Assignments will be graded in a timely fashion, and grades will be updated on Powerschool weekly.
- Attendance will be taken daily. During remote learning, attendance will be recorded in your Homeroom/Core 1 course. Students will be asked to fill out a Google Form daily, to confirm their attendance. Students should record their attendance each day, before 10 AM. There are two locations for the Google Form Link, I will send my Homeroom students a daily email reminding students to record their attendance, and I will have the Attendance Link in the email. Also, I have a link to the Attendance Form on the Homepage of my Canvas page.
- If your child is absent from school use the absence form below for reporting purposes. The forms can be found on the UA Webpage under Important Forms or below.
- Communication regarding student's daily assignments, projects and test dates will be shared through
- 8th grade Team's Monday Minutes
- Student's Canvas Calendar
- Daily Canvas Announcements (optional) These are Canvas Announcement texts to your phone. If you wish to receive these announcements via your phone, please view UA Parent/Student Resources Remote Learning Below for instructions on how to do this)
Canvas will be used daily with students in this course. Below is a link that is designed by the Union Academy IT department and will provide you with all necessary resources and How To Lists for Remote Learning.
UA Parent and Student Resources Remote Learning 2020-2021
Remote Learning Office Hours
Remote Learning Conference/Live Session Hours
- Monday's - 10:00 to 10:30 and 2:00 to 2:30
- Mrs. Malone will post Zoom Meeting Invitations.
- Monday and Thursday from 3:30 to 4:30
- Please contact Mrs. Malone if these times will not work.
Teacher Contact Information:
Phone: (704) 238-8883 (ext. 267) - Union Academy Middle School
- Students must always demonstrate respect for their fellow classmates, teachers and staff.
- Students must complete and submit all assignments in a timely fashion.
- Students must attend before school, during lunch or advisory, or after school sessions, if missing work in the course, this will allow for the assignment to be completed and submitted for credit.
- Academic dishonesty, including plagiarism, will not be tolerated.
- Students must always bring their daily materials to class and be prepared to participate actively.
- Students must always be in class and in their seats before the bell rings.
- No food, drinks or gum is permitted in the classroom (except water).
- Students must adhere to the rules of Union Academy at all times.
Please view Union Academy Family Handbook (Links to an external site.) if you wish to review more information about Attendance Policies and MS Dress Code.