July 16, 2021
Dear High School Families,
We are excited to get the 2021-2022 school year off to a great start. I realize that many of us are excited to be back on campus but that there are some who are also anxious. My pledge to you is that our staff is prepared to make Union Academy High School a welcoming and compassionate place for learning. We have learned a lot through the challenges of the previous year and are excited to rebuild our Cardinal community stronger than ever. Below are several highlights to keep you informed of some changes in the high school as well as offer guidance with the transition back to in-person learning. I look forward to seeing all of you on July 26th.
- Open House for high school students is Friday, July 23. Students and parents with last names A-M will attend from 9am - 10am. Students with last names M-Z will attend from 11am - 12pm. Students can view their updated schedules in PowerSchool. Students will not receive Chromebooks at Open House; they will be distributed during the first week of classes.
- Freshmen students should plan to attend orientation July 22 from 9 am – noon. Please meet in the high school gym.
- Catered Lunch does not begin until the second week of school. Students will need to bring their own lunch for the first week. Catered lunch orders for August must be completed by July 22.
- There is a new HS bell schedule for the 21-22 school year. Please click here. HS students are not required to be on campus until 8:30am but can arrive as early as 7am.
- High school students who arrive on campus before 8:25 am need to report to the MPR. The doors will open at 7:00 am. Students will be supervised in this location until they are released to their classrooms at 8:25 am. If on campus during Flex Time, students should plan to work quietly in the MPR or schedule time in a classroom with one of their teachers. Eventually this time will also be utilized for other activities.
- Students who are tardy to homeroom after 8:30 am are required to report to the attendance office and sign in to avoid being marked absent for the day.
- When submitting an excuse note for your child’s absence, please use our absence form which is on our website. It is also included in the automated absence email everyone receives when their child is marked out. The link is here.
- Due to staffing and enrollment changes, many student schedules will be altered in order to maintain smaller class sizes. Homeroom lists will be posted in the MPR the first day. Students should report to the homeroom teacher listed.
- On the first day, if students have a missing class in their schedule, they’ll be given an opportunity to report to the guidance office to get it corrected. All other schedule change requests should be submitted in the Google Form.
- Please be patient and cooperate with our staff as we work to run carpool as quickly as we can. HS students will be dropped off and picked up in the North Carpool Line. It is mandatory to have a CarRider Pro carpool tag for your student if you are picking them up in the PM. CarRider Pro tags will be available during the open house.
- We will only assign lockers to students who request one. If you are interested in using a locker this year, please complete this form.
- We are in need of class officers for student government. Students who are interested in running for office should complete this form.
- Seniors have the opportunity to paint their parking spot for the 21-22 school year. Please click here for more information.
- The high school dress code is here and posted online. Students should have their ID badge with them at all times. Please adhere to the acceptable attire listed in this policy. Students who fail to adhere to the policy will serve ISS until their infraction is corrected.