Governor Cooper announced this week that schools may reopen in-person at 50% capacity in August following the guidelines in Plan B of the Lighting Our Way Forward: North Carolina’s Guidebook for Reopening Public Schools. UA is finalizing its hybrid plan in response to North Carolina’s Plan B. This hybrid model – which involves both live in-person instruction and online learning – will begin on Monday, August 24.
Below is a VERY IMPORTANT link to help students and parents log into Chromebooks, check their emails, log into NCEDCloud, Canvas and more. Please bookmark the link for future reference. The link will also be available on each Academic page on the website.
- Materials pick up, schedule changes, and more information have been emailed to parents and are also located on the Academic 9-12 page under “Messages from Mr. Zorn.”
- Rising 12th Grade Immunization Requirements
MIDDLE SCHOOL 5-8
- Information about schedules, virtual open house, materials pick up, and more have been emailed to families and are also available on the Academic 5-8 page under “Updates from Mrs. McGinnis.”
LOWER SCHOOL K-4
- Open House information was emailed to parents and is posted on the Academics K-4 page under “Messages from Mr. Bretz.”
- Families were emailed a sign up link for open house. If you have not received information from your teacher, please contact the teacher.
- High school students are encouraged to read this summer; however, there will not be a required book.
- K-8 students are asked to sign up for the READsquared summer reading program at the UCPL. There will not be a required book.
- K-4 by grade level (look for a condensed supply list for remote learning from your teacher)
- 5-8 by grade level
- HS by course/teacher (not all HS courses have a supply list)
On Wednesday 7/15/20, the NCHSAA voted to delay the start of Fall sports to 9/01/20. For parents and athletes this means that no mandatory practices or tryouts can be held until this date. Summer workouts will continue under the Phase 1 guidelines started on June 15th until further notice. Also note that during the week of July 27th there will be NO workouts.
The UA Athletic packet is online on the UA webpage and in the link below. Please follow the instructions below as you complete the information. Any 6th-12th grade student playing a sport at UA MUST complete the clearinghouse information to participate. Even though we are uncertain about fall sports, completing the forms now will be helpful when we are able to move forward. Let’s think positively!
The NCHSAA released a Summer Guide: Reopening Sports/Activities which utilizes a phased approach for NCHSAA athletes and is intended to help school administrators, coaches, parents, students, and communities navigate a gradual reopening of high school athletic activities. An email was sent to all 9-12 families on June 11, 2020. Contact Michelle Phifer (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions or the individual fall coaches.
- Specific NCHSAA guidelines for conditioning and teams
- UA’s Return to Play Information (fall varsity sports only)
- Women’s Tennis: Coach Will Cobb (email@example.com)
- Men’s Soccer: Coach Vic Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Co-ed Cross Country: Coach Ashley Grant (email@example.com)
- Cheerleading: Coach Jennifer Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Women’s Volleyball: Coach Jim Zorn (email@example.com)
- Football: Coach Justin Frashier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Women’s Golf: Coach Cheyanne Nash (email@example.com)
- Activity Fees for 2020-21 are now available on MyPaymentsPlus for anyone who would like to go ahead and start paying. This year the activity fee will be “a la carte” meaning you may pay for the items/events you choose. Fees are not officially due until the beginning of the school year.
- All field trips (day and overnight) have been canceled through the end of September. Anyone who has already paid will be refunded.
- Student Volunteer Hours: The new year has officially started in MobileServe and detailed information can be found on the UA website https://www.unionacademy.org/apps/pages/volunteering. The code for all 9-12 students is on the webpage. Make sure you have a supervisor name and email address entered to get the hours approved. Contact Mrs. Watkins if you have questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Charlotte Business Journal named Union Academy the 2020 #1 Healthiest Employer in the 100-499 employees category.
- The 2020-21 Volunteer Magnet Contest is officially OPEN! The guidelines are a little different this year, so please read the instructions carefully. The deadline to submit your design is Aug. 3.
- The FFA Meats Evaluation Team placed FIRST at the state competition.