While we await further instructions from the state, UA is completing a preliminary plan for when moderate or minimal social distancing in-person instruction can begin following the guidelines from NCDPI in the link below:
The RSWG (Reopening of School Work Group) group of UA parents and staff is reviewing the state guidelines as well as input from various sources, including the CDC. Your input is important and we have created an email address for parents to send us questions and suggestions: (Reopening.firstname.lastname@example.org).
IMPORTANT SURVEYS FOR PARENTS TO COMPLETE
(Thank you if you have already completed the surveys below)
- The Intent to Return form was sent to all UA families on June 11. If you have not filled it out, please complete it as soon as possible, so we can begin planning for next year. This is very important as it relates to scheduling students in classes.
- Internet and Device Availability Survey (very important if you will need to check out a device for remote learning K-12)
MIDDLE SCHOOL 5-8
LOWER SCHOOL K-4
- High school students are encouraged to read this summer; however, there will not be a required book.
- K-8 students are asked to sign up for the READsquared summer reading program at the UCPL. There will not be a required book.
- K-8 by grade level
- HS by course/teacher (not all HS courses have a supply list)
The UA Athletic packet is online on the UA webpage and in the link below. Please follow the instructions below as you complete the information. Any 6th-12th grade student playing a sport at UA MUST complete the clearinghouse information to participate. Even though we are uncertain about fall sports, completing the forms now will be helpful when we are able to move forward. Let’s think positively!
- Athletic Clearinghouse Website
- NCHSAA Physical Form (EVERYONE must print and complete the first two pages of medical history whether you need a physical or not.)
- Athletic Clearinghouse Instructions
The NCHSAA released a Summer Guide: Reopening Sports/Activities which utilizes a phased approach for NCHSAA athletes and is intended to help school administrators, coaches, parents, students, and communities navigate a gradual reopening of high school athletic activities. An email was sent to all 9-12 families on June 11, 2020. Contact Michelle Phifer (email@example.com) with questions or the individual fall coaches.
- Specific NCHSAA guidelines for conditioning and teams
- UA’s Return to Play Information (fall varsity sports only)
- Women’s Tennis: Coach Will Cobb (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Men’s Soccer: Coach Vic Johnson (email@example.com)
- Co-ed Cross Country: Coach Ashley Grant (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cheerleading: Coach Jennifer Smith (email@example.com)
- Women’s Volleyball: Coach Jim Zorn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Football: Coach Justin Frashier (email@example.com)
- Women’s Golf: Coach Cheyanne Nash (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- DEADLINE to register is JULY 12 Summer camps (softball, baseball) are open for registration on MyPaymentsPlus. Camps are open to Rising K-8th grade students and to non-UA students. If we have to cancel them, you will receive a refund.
- Step-by-Step instructions for summer camp registration.
- Activity Fees and Field Trips for 2020-21 are now available on MyPaymentsPlus for anyone who would like to go ahead and start paying. This year the activity fee will be “a la carte” meaning you may pay for the items/events you choose. Fees are not officially due until the beginning of the school year.
- Student Volunteer Hours: All 2019-20 hours are complete and the new year has officially started in MobileServe. The type of service hours are back to normal and can be found on the UA website https://www.unionacademy.org/apps/pages/volunteering. The code for rising 9th graders is 9370FE. Make sure you have a supervisor name and email address entered to get the hours approved. Contact Mrs. Watkins if you have questions (email@example.com).
- Katie Stewart (Director of Technology) graduated from the 2019-2020 Certified Government Chief Information Officers Program™ at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s School of Government. Click for the article.
- The Charlotte Business Journal named Union Academy the 2020 #1 Healthiest Employer in the 100-499 employees category.
- The 2020-21 Volunteer Magnet Contest is officially OPEN! The guidelines are a little different this year, so please read the instructions carefully. The deadline to submit your design is Aug. 3.