Union Academy utilizes Google Apps for Education for students in grades 3 – 12. These services are hosted by Google in collaboration with Union Academy. Permission forms are good only for the current school year. Students will have access to the following services:
· Mail: A Gmail account for school use only and will be managed by Union Academy.
· Calendar: A calendar application providing the ability to organize schedules and daily activities along with collaboration with teachers and staff.
· Docs: A cloud based tool suite similar to Microsoft Office.
· Drive: In collaboration with Docs, Google Drive allows students and staff to share assignments, collaborate in real time, and access their information anywhere with an internet connection.
Union Academy follows guidelines according to the following federal laws:
· Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA): COPPA applies to commercial companies and limits their ability to collect personal information from children under 13. By default, advertising is turned off for Union Academy’s Google Apps for Education domain. No personal student information is collected for commercial purposes. This permission form allows Union Academy to act as an agent for parents in the collection of information for educational purposes. (For more information on COPPA, please visit: https://www.ftc.gov/privacy/coppafaqs.shtm)
· Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA): FERPA protects the privacy of student education records and gives parents the right to review student records. Each year when students are given the Network Login/Safety introduction, they are notified of the option to opt out of network access. The opt‐out form can be filled out annually for a student and can be located on the Union Academy website under Departments – Technology. (For more information on FERPA, please visit: https://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa)