Chaperone Philosophy Regarding Field Trips
Field trips at Union Academy are a great tradition and an essential component of the school’s educational experience to develop the whole child. Enriching field trips contribute to the development of students into civilized young men and women who possess more knowledge about citizenship, have stronger critical-thinking skills, exhibit increased historical empathy, display higher levels of tolerance, and have a greater taste for consuming art and culture. Chaperones are vitally important to these experiences.
HOW TO CHAPERONE
- Please read all field trip communications that come from the Activities Office, teachers, classroom communication portals, and the UA Newsletter. Locations, dates, times, and schedules are subject to change at the discretion of the Activities Department.
- Complete the Chaperone Interest Form for each trip by the deadline. No late inquiries will be considered. There are limited chaperone spots for each trip so not everyone who submits an interest form will be chosen. Chaperones are chosen by lottery.
- Once the lottery is complete, you will receive an email from the Activities Office letting you know if you have been selected or not.
- Fees will need to be paid upon receipt of the chaperone invitation on MyPaymentsPlus.
The following are core tenets of the UA philosophy with respect to field trips
Please review the following and understand that you are representing Union Academy and your child. Parents who are not chosen, please respect the process! If you show up and were not chosen to chaperone, you will NOT be allowed entry with our group. You will not receive volunteer hours. Violating this policy will result in you becoming ineligible to chaperone for the remainder of the school year.
- Chaperone Fees must be paid on MyPaymentsPlus under FEES. An email will go out to you. **IF NOT PAID ON TIME, WE WILL SELECT OTHER CHAPERONES FROM THE WAITLIST** Chaperone Fees are non-refundable 5 days prior to the trip. Failure to pay the fee will result in another parent being selected from the waitlist.
- In the event you are unable to attend, parents are not responsible for finding a replacement chaperone to go in your spot. The Activities Office will assign a new chaperone from the waitlist. Consideration will be given if spouses want to go in place.
- You will receive volunteer hours that are specific to each trip. This information will be provided to you when you have been selected. Please note that you will be responsible for keeping track of your hours on the Union Academy Mobile Serve app.
- Siblings and other family members are NOT ALLOWED to attend field trips. You must be approved by the school to attend.
- Events are ticketed for registered UA students and assigned chaperones ONLY.
THE DAY OF THE FIELD TRIP
- Parents are encouraged to wear Union Academy branded clothing while attending field trips.
- Chaperones are responsible for their own bagged lunch, unless directed otherwise.
- Chaperones must check in with Mrs. Houchins in the front office to get your sticker before leaving campus.
- After checking in, please proceed to your student’s classroom to assist the teachers with labeling lunches and getting the bins on the assigned bus.
- After lunch bins and students have been loaded on the buses, chaperones can then proceed to the destination.
- Students are NOT allowed to ride with parents to the experience. This is a UA school policy.
- Parents are NOT allowed to ride UA buses.
- Do not provide snacks to students other than your own child.
- Ensure your group maintains behavior standards consistent with Union Academy expectations.
- Do not give permission to students to do anything that contradicts the written or spoken instructions of the teacher or administrator in charge.
- Do not talk on a cell phone for an extended conversation anytime the chaperone is responsible for students on the trip, except as required for student health, safety, welfare, or to get the students to and from the destination.
- If you choose to take your child home after the experience, you must make sure to sign your child out with their teacher. Before leaving the site, chaperones must be sure all students are loaded on the bus and then you are free to leave.