Union Academy HS Student Community Service Requirements
Effective Fall 2023 for the Graduating Class of 2024 and Beyond
High school students are expected to complete at least 105 hours of community service over their four years at Union Academy. Student privileges at Union Academy are earned through the completion of community service hours. Students will complete a community service reflection form each year.
Students are required to enter their service hours into Mobile Serve during the year in which they earn them, or they will not receive credit for their hours. Students should enter their hours immediately after completing them. It is crucial that hours are entered as they are completed to maintain an accurate, up to date record.
Students who complete all 105 of their service hours, including at least 60 hours at non-profit community organizations, excluding UA, will earn a community service cord to wear at their graduation ceremony. Students will also receive special dress code approved clothing.
Students who double their community service hours (200+ including at least 60 hours at non-profit community organizations, excluding UA) will also earn a medal, which will be presented at the senior breakfast. Additionally these students will be recognized at graduation.
Criteria: Students must have at least the following number of hours completed to earn privileges at UA each year. All hours served at UA and in the community are included in these totals.
● Freshmen: Entitled to all privileges during their Freshman year and must begin serving.
● Sophomores need at least 15 Hours to earn Field Trips and Eligibility for Athletics, Student Council, Class Officers, Homecoming Court, Marching Band, Theater Shows, and Honor Societies. The right to purchase a Parking Pass requires 30 hours of service.
● Juniors need at least 30 Hours to earn Field Trips and Eligibility for Athletics, Student Council, Class Officers, Homecoming Court, Marching Band, Theater Shows, and Honor Societies, as well as the right to purchase a Parking Pass.
● Seniors need at least 45 Hours to earn Field Trips and Eligibility for Athletics, Student Council, Class Officers Homecoming Court, Marching Band, Theater Shows, and Honor Societies, as well as the right to purchase a Parking Pass.
● Graduation Participation at least 60 Hours: Students who do not complete at least 60 hours will still receive their diploma, but they will be excluded from the graduation ceremony.
Students are required to complete a written yearly reflection form before receiving credit for their hours for the year.
Students may not be awarded more hours than the actual hours they served (no doubled hours).
- Because recognition is given to individuals who reach two times the required service hours and also to the student who completes the most volunteer service, it is unfair to give double hours.
- If you are offered double hours, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator. This practice has been discontinued and requests will not be honored.