Chaperone Philosophy Regarding Overnight Trips in 2022-2023
Overnight trips at Union Academy are a great tradition and an essential component of the school’s educational experience to develop the whole child, 5th thru 12th Grade. Enriching overnight field trips contribute to the development of students into civilized young men and women who possess more knowledge about citizenship, have stronger critical-thinking skills, exhibit increased historical empathy, display higher levels of tolerance, and have a greater taste for consuming art and culture. Parent chaperones are vitally important to these experiences. Parents are encouraged to apply for a chaperone spot for all 5th - 8th Grade overnight trips. Staff & Administration chaperone all high school trips, parents may not attend those.
HOW TO CHAPERONE
- Please read all overnight trip communications that come from the Activities Office, teachers, classroom communication portals, and the UA Newsletter. Locations, dates, times, and schedules are subject to change at the discretion of the Activities Department.
- Complete the Chaperone Interest Form for each trip by the deadline. No late inquiries will be considered. There are limited chaperone spots for each trip so not everyone who submits an interest form will be chosen. Chaperones are chosen by lottery. You will be removed from the lottery if you one) owe Activity Dues and two) have not registered your child for the trip. Once you register your child, you'll be put on a waitlist.
- Once the lottery is complete, you will receive an email from the Activities Office letting you know if you have been selected or not.
- Background checks are required for all overnight trips. Applications for a background check must be completed by the due date.
- Fees will need to be paid upon receipt of the chaperone invitation on MyPaymentsPlus.
The following are core tenets of the UA philosophy with respect to overnight trips
Please review the following and understand that you are representing Union Academy and your child. Parents who are not chosen, please respect the process! If you show up and were not chosen to chaperone, you will NOT be allowed entry with our group. You will not receive Volunteer Hours. Violating this policy will result in you becoming ineligible to chaperone for the remainder of the school year.
- Chaperone Fees must be paid on MyPaymentsPlus under FEES. An email will go out to you. **IF NOT PAID ON TIME, WE WILL SELECT OTHER CHAPERONES FROM THE WAITLIST** Overnight Trip Chaperone Fees are non-refundable 14 days prior to the trip. Failure to pay the fee will result in another parent being selected from the waitlist.
- In the event you are unable to attend, parents are not responsible for finding a replacement chaperone to go in your spot. The Activities Office will assign a new chaperone from the waitlist. Consideration will be given if spouses want to go in place.
- You will receive volunteer hours that are specific to each trip. This information will be provided to you when you have been selected. Please note that you will be responsible for keeping track of your hours on the Union Academy Mobile Serve app.
- Siblings, spouses and other family members are NOT ALLOWED to attend overnight trips. You must be approved by the school to attend.
- Lodging & Events are ticketed for registered UA students and assigned chaperones ONLY.
OVERNIGHT TRIP POLICIES
- Parents are encouraged to wear Union Academy branded clothing while attending overnight trips.
- Chaperones are responsible for their own meals, unless directed otherwise.
- Chaperones must check in with Mrs. Houchins in the front office to get your sticker before leaving campus on overnight trips.
- After checking in, please proceed to your student’s classroom to assist the teachers with grouping children and loading luggage onto the charter buses.
- After students have been loaded on the buses, chaperones can then proceed to the destination.
- Chaperones are solely responsible for ALL travel expenses including toll roads and parking fees. Money spent on travel will NOT transfer over into volunteer hours.
- Students are NOT allowed to ride with parents to the experience. This is a UA school policy.
- Parents are NOT allowed to ride the reserved charter buses unless otherwise directed.
- If you choose to take your child home after the experience, you must make sure to sign your child out with their teacher. Before leaving the site, chaperones must be sure all students are loaded on the bus and then you are free to leave.
- Parents are required to follow the safety rules that the students are expected to follow. Alcohol, illicit drugs, tobacco and vape products are prohibited.
- Modist dress is required.
- Leaving your group of students during the experience is not permitted. Night checks are part of the responsibility.
- In the event of an emergency, parents may be asked to transport students to an urgent care or ER. Please let the Activities Office know in advance if you are not comfortable doing this.
- Biological male chaperones will be assigned to biological male cabins and hotel rooms. Biological female chaperones will be assigned to biological female cabins and hotel rooms.
- Do not provide snacks to students other than your own child.
- Ensure your group maintains behavior standards consistent with Union Academy expectations.
- Do not give permission to students to do anything that contradicts the written or spoken instructions of the teacher or administrator in charge.
- Do not talk on a cell phone for an extended conversation anytime the chaperone is responsible for students on the trip, except as required for student health, safety, welfare, or to get the students to and from the destination.
- All disciple issues need to be immediately addressed with administration or teachers. Parents should not take disciplinary action into their own hands.